Friday, March 25, 2005

Purpose of a Blog

Back typing this after a long break. What have I been up to? Went Nikko last weekend, back only on Monday night before starting work again all the way. Boring eh?? Which brings to the point what is the purpose of a blog.

Some use their blogs to record every little event that has happened to them and details their every thoughts and musings... Some use their blogs to pen down daily news and special interesting stuffs that are going on in the world around us... & some just need to satisfy their urge to seek attention.. the more attention the merrier.

For me? What is my purpose? Its funny that I do not even know it myself. What started out as an experiment to help winston set up his blog, ended up with me starting a new blog as well... the purpose? ==> That I have nothing much better to do and what better way to waste time than typing things down and looking busy? ;) Experimented with posting pictures, telling about my life in Japan, my complaints, sharing of interesting news and info to everyone... it comes to a point that everything just seems so pointless... maybe its really because that i have nothing better to do.

First of all, who the hell would be interested in my blog? If I talked about my life, bet there'll be many who won't be interested at all. On the other hand, this is my blog, so why would I care whether they are interested in it at all. Anyway, why would anyone bother to read up to this point? haha. Doesn't it bore you lots? I mean, blogs started out as online diaries for those who prefer to pen down their thoughts and happenings in the computer anywhere on earth rather than writing it down on their notebooks or wordpad, and since it is an online diary for oneself, isn't it supposed to be PRIVATE? Come on, isn't it impolite to peek at other's diaries? And since everyone KNOWS that EVERYONE is able to look at their diaries, they carried on writing, but did away with their innermost thoughts and started penning things which everyone would be interested to read and see. Totally defeats the purpose of a PRIVATE DIARY.

So the blog evolved, now its one catered for the attention-seeking egoistic person that is inherent in almost everyone of us. People start writing what they think others will like, start providing services for other people via their blogs (E.g. Kanji translations) , and start flaming other people with vulgarities and all sorts of funny funny things so that readers will find it interesting and keep coming back for more. So the visitor counts go up up up, and the ego gets inflated big and fat. Which brings to one point.. For what?

Why would anyone think to put their innermost secrets and thoughts up on the web? Don't they know that it is SCARY? It started of with 6 degrees, friendster, then blogs and now more things are starting to pop up, the internet has become a real haven of information, be it trash or useful material. Give me a name and some basic information of the person, and I probably can find out what is his/her birthdate, his/her nicknames, his/her primary school, secondary school, jc/poly, University, workplace, place of study, even kindergarten, his/her friends, bf/gf and best friends, things he/she owns, what time he/she wakes up/sleeps, what courses he/she tooks, his/her innermost thoughts and desires, his/her hobbies, a rough estimate of the character of the person, his/her webpage, blogpage, icq number, msn number, phone numbers and email address. Yeah, there are more, but sure it is possible to gather such information if I wanted to.. really. ;) I'm sure most of us have enter some of these information onto some online portal before, and if that's the case, retrieving that information is possible.

That is WHY I don't like friendster in the first place, then blogs. Its so scary when others can know who you are without actually meeting you. And here I am, blogging away like nobody's business. I'm not even doing anything productive.. blogging is so counter-productive that yeah.. they ought to sack me for not doing proper work but instead wasting my time on this blog. There are tons of people out their who will spend like 2-3 hours a day just for blogging.. IMAGINE THAT! And to think that we have only 24 hours a day.. lemmi do a simple calculation. Say you spend 2 hours a day to blog, and maybe to view other people's blog, in a year, we would have spent 730 hours on blogs which equates to about 30 days = 1 month!! imagine spending one month without sleeping and eating and just focused mainly on writing blogs and read them. That's crazy. yoo hoo... there is life out there.. you shouldn't be blogging and readinig this....

That said... I am still writing this.. darn.. I REALLY have nothing to do. My life is wasting away in front of me... yet I cannot do anything about it. Okay, I can do something actually, just that I don't want ;P

Let's go back to the topic.. 'What is the purpose of this blog'. A place for me to waste time, a place for me to complain about the things that is going on around me, a place for me to post useless pieces of news in hope that it will prove interesting to readers out there. I should rename this blog to 'For those people with nothing else better to do'... hmmm.. maybe I should ..come to think of it. kudos to you if you are still not bored by now, even I myself is bored typing this. So maybe I should entertain you about my life. Okay okay, one other purpose of this is such that 20-30 years down the road when I am old and senile, I might be able to flash back my memories and return here to see what I had typed and the days that I had when I was young.


But then, that is unlikely to happen as:
1) Blogger.com might be shut down then
2) Internet has evolved, html is totally phased out and you just have to think to print out 3d characters. Meaning that this blog would be scrapped to the trash bin.
3) Power failure, oil may be used up completely and there'll be no more power to operate the computer
4) I did say I will be senile, didn't I? How can I still remember this web address then?

damn, digressing again.. I'm supposed to talk about my Nikko trip last weekend to entertain you folks up there who are yearning for juicy bits of news haha. So here goes, I went Nikko on Saturday and I came back on Monday. ;P Interesting eh?

I mentioned this before? darn... okay okay, to add... I had a fun time there with my friends. ;)

Another useless piece of crap again? ;) that brings me back to the point that blogs are useless.. but why the hell are you still reading this?

Okay, we went out early on saturday morning, James, Ivan, Jasmine, Fiona, Yuhui and Me that is... took the 2 hr train to Nikko. The sights were very very beautiful I say.. Rural landscape, mountains, Sun, blue skies, Snow.. Man. This is some place that I won't mind spending the rest of my life in. Beats staying in hot and sunny urban Singapore. At least I would rather be killed by monkeys in Nikko than by inhaling too much polluted smoke and exhaust gases in Singapore.

Yup, I saw monkeys, and even a couple of deers prancing around in the snow. The lakes were awesome , not forgetting the waterfalls.. the most impressive of which is the Kegon falls for the size. Took lots of photos, pray hard that it will come out nice and well, especially for the waterfalls!! I think I need a neutral density filter for my camera soon..

Btw, I had 2 days of Onsen. Man, the bath was relaxing and cool. First time soaking in Hot spring water with sulphur minerals which are supposed to be beneficial for the skin and body. Lets hope it'll do wonders for my dislocated shoulder. Able to move a bit more now since the accident, but still cannot raise it high and carry heavy stuffs as it still hurts a little. Wonder when will it fully heal. sigh.. Nevermind I'll be fine and hey... I did cycle to work today with my left hand ;) though sometimes I had to maneuvre my bike with both hands and that caused it to hurt abit, but still, I think it is healing well.. Thinking of going for a follow-up check next week, but have to ask my trainer how to go about doing so, she is still on one week leave.. lucky!

Usual stuffs at Nikko, phototaking, talking craps, walking around, just chilling out, karaoke (expensive one too), etc. Nothing beats the friends and people who went. Its different if I had to go on the trip alone than compared with the great company I had. Tons of laughter and crap to talk about, and the funny stupid poses that we did in front of the camera even though our ages average to about 25 years old. Man, will we ever grow up? Somehow, I hope not. ;) Its more fun that way.

Met an interesting Italian couple along the trip as well, they kinda followed us around Nikko as they have no idea how to get around the places. We ended up in the Onsen with them and haha, it was unforgettable as both of them fainted right after they got out of the onsens. Really CMI.. ;P I thought Ang Mos are physically stronger? hmm.. but luckily they recovered well, maybe just not too used to it ba. But haha, it was a laughable and unforgettable experience.

Kinugawa. Just don't waste your money there. 鬼怒川。。。 as the Japanese name implies, literally it means, Angry Ghost River. The attractions are really expensive and yet overhyped, wouldn't recommend anyone to go haha, But I still had fun because of the company that I had. Hmmm... I ought to get paid for saying so many nice stuffs ;P

Skylark Gusto... Nothing beats a meal at S Gusto.. our savior when our stomachs are hungry and our bodies are cold. The foods' great and cheap and the ambience is good. Its a family style restaurant with many branch chains around the whole of Japan. I'm even thinking of franchising it back to Singapore... Favourite restaurant of all time in Japan. Can never forget the excitement generated when we saw the bright red sign in Nikko while the rest of the shops and restaurants are closed for the day, S Gusto Saved our lives haha.

Wow, I guess this is a really lengthy blog. I should stop right now.. ;) Will add in photos of my Nikko trip once I got them renamed nicely. ;) I don't mind going Nikko again.. haha.. oh ya.. burnt a hole in my pocket.. sigh...... ;P


-----------------

Take the quiz: "What color are you?"

Orange
Your color is orange... You are very courageous, understanding and friendly.... You can sometimes be bossy and stubborn, and you love to be the leader, but you make a loyal friend as well... You are bold and adventurouse, but also wise, forgiving, and unpredictable...

Take the quiz: "Devil or Angel?"

White Angel
You'd be a white angel... Pure hearted, you are near perfect, always nice and forgiving, always doing what is right... You are always caring for others, and hate to see people hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home